Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Vintage Flour Sacks... oh the options!



My absolute favorite thrift-type store is Vain & Vintage in Pocatello, Idaho. All things vintage, all things perfect. I really need to do an entirely separate post simply to introduce you to this place. It's truly glorious. I feel right at home whenever I'm there. On my most recent trip down Center Street, I stumbled across a stack of vintage flour sacks. I instantly fell in love with the graphic elements, printed onto the fabric in perfect shades of blue-grey, bright reds, and a rustic navy blue. They ranged in price from $7 to $12. A little pricier than I would have liked. I'm a 50 cent kind of girl. But, I fell so head over heels, I had to splurge a little for these.

Today, I'm going to show you how I like to rock pillows. I'm a germaphobe, so I formulated this "pocket pillow." It's a cinch to whip up and easy to peel off the pillow case when it needs a good washing. You can find vintage flour sack on ebay (although the large canvas ones like this are a bit trickier to hunt down). Or, you can call on the lovely ladies at Vain and Vintage.


Cut your pieces. My pillow form is 16"x16", so my instructions are directed toward those dimensions.

Give the inner edge of back panel 1 and back panel 2 a 1" hem.


Lay the back panels on top of the front panel, right sides together. Be sure to layer back panel 1 under back panel 2. This is the part that will allow the case to removed from the pillow form later on, if need be.

Now for the speedy part! Just sew around all four sides of the square. I tried to make a graphic for you to understand how the pieces need lay. See the "sandwich" to the right? Hope that makes sense.
Clip the corners of your pillowcase without severing your stitching. This will make your corners nice and smooth once you turn it right-side out.

Turn your pillowcase right-side out. Iron that baby, make it look a little more profesh, and insert your form. See the pocket on the back side? I ran out of sack material for this pillow. So, I supplemented a little with some ticking I had in my stash.

Ta-da! Done-zo! I've got flour sacks on the brain lately. Here are some other fun options they can be used for! P.S. I got this rocking chair at a garage sale for $4.  Just sanded it down, primed, painted, and distressed!  Now, it's one of my favorite things.

Shopbellavita.com

sarawakianali.blogspot.com

50centstool
sarahblucastle.com

Am I crazy if I want to sprinkle my itty bitty apartment with flour sack elements? Covered chairs, pillows, maybe some curtains for my kitchen... I might go a little overboard. Love these little gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment